.expand { display: inline; } .collapse { display: none; }
CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Spring Break--Making Impressions

...and I'm back! Winter quarter was especially tough on me, hence the lack of wedding planning/posting. I'm currently on spring break and will soon start student teaching which will (oddly enough) leave me with more free time in afternoon than usual--of course, there will be lesson planning and thesis writing, but at least I can in comfy pants!

Anyhow, I've been at my parents house since Thursday and will be staying until Sunday morning. While I've been home, we've really hit the ground running with wedding prep. One of the first things I did was to make impressions for Jay's wedding ring.

Before we even got engaged, I found what would eventually be Jay's ring at an etsy shop called Fabuluster. Jess and Brent Williams make cast impressions of fingerprints and incorporate them into their jewelry. Jay really liked the idea and picked this ring:


I ordered it and received my impression kit in the mail. All I had to do was follow Brent's instructions and send him my fingerprints.

So first: boiling water in a pot and sticking my hand in a hot (but not boiling) sink.


Once the water on the stove boiled, I poured it into a bowl and took its temperature.


When it had cooled to 140 degrees, I dropped in an impression strip.


After thirty seconds, the water had softened the black side of the strip so that I could make my impression.


Then I just had to cool it until the black side stiffened again and peel the strip off my finger.


And repeat three more times!

As a side note, the funniest part of making these impressions was when my brother came home from class starving and started making pizza. Of course, the pizza was ready to come out of the oven at the exact moment my last pot of water boiled, so for a few minutes, we had to dance around each other while holding a variety of very hot objects.

The impressions are in the mail, so soon enough Jay's ring will be here. Cross that off the list!

0 comments: